NAFDAC: National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control
National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) is a Nigerian federal agency that is under the Federal Ministry of Health. It replaced the previous Directorate of Food and Drug Administration and Control as it was not effective in controlling the problem of counterfeit drugs.
It was established to help eliminate the problem of counterfeit drugs, food, beverages and health products manufactured within and outside Nigeria. Counterfeit drugs were and remain a problem in Nigeria.
Its first governing council was formed in December 1992, and chaired by Tanimu Saulawa. In January 1993, NAFDAC was established by Decree No. 15 of 1993 and amended by Decree 19 of 1999 and currently NAFDAC Act Cap N1 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
What are the NAFDAC functions?
- Regulates and control the importation, exportation, manufacture, distribution, advertisement, sales and use of foods, drugs, chemicals, herbal medicines, cosmetics, detergents, packaged water and medical devices. These are referred to as regulated products.
- Conduct appropriate tests and confirm product complies with standard specifications defined and approved by NAFDAC.
- Investigate premises and raw material used for the production of regulated products.
- Inspection of imported regulated products including certifying its production site.
- Produce the standard specifications, guidelines, and regulations, required for manufacture, importation, exportation, advertisement, sale and distribution of regulated products.
- Responsible for the registration of regulated products.
- Control the exportation as well as responsible for issuing a quality certification of regulated products intended for export.
- Establishment and maintenance of relevant laboratories and branches around the country to enable NAFDAC to perform its function.
Who is NAFDAC Chairman?
The current NAFDAC chairman is Hon. Inuwa Abdul-Kadir, Esq, MCIArb, FICMC.
NAFDAC means National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control.
What is the NAFDAC website?
The website can be assessed by clicking here. You can get information about NAFDAC from this website.
How do you go about NAFDAC registration?
NAFDAC regulated products listed above needs to be registered before you can manufacture, import, export, advertise, sell or distribute it in Nigeria.