So how long does a cold last?
Symptoms of common colds usually peak at 1–3 days and last between 7–10 days, although they sometimes persist for up to three weeks.
When to see your doctor
See your doctor if
- your body temperature becomes remarkably high, or you feel shivery.
- your symptoms persist for more than 3 weeks.
- your symptoms get worse very quickly.
- you feel concerned about your child’s symptoms.
- you feel breathless.
- you develop chest pain.
- you suffer from a condition such as diabetes, or a kidney, heart, or lung disease.
- you have a weakened immune system – for example, due to chemotherapy.